Always to the frontier

Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Leaning Hydro Towers of Hoover Dam

In an earlier post regarding those ubiquitous electric towers I made mention about the pylons sticking nearly horizontally out of the cliff face above the Colorado just below Hoover Dam.  It turns out I do have a picture of them available, and a rather nice one of part of the dam itself.


I kept looking at the things thinking they would fall over.  In some ways, I find them every bit the engineering marvel that the dam itself is.  I imagine that they could have easily been anchored more securely standing straight up, as the Niagara pylons are at both the Canadian and American power stations, but maybe here we just had an engineer adding one more extreme to an already dramatic place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment