Always to the frontier

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Kylee Baumle

It should come to no surprise that a botanist such as myself has a fondness for gardening, and as such I tend to follow a few gardening blogs.  One of my favorites is Our Little Acre, a blog by Kylee Baumle.  Kylee is a fellow central Great Lakes gardener, and I found her blog when I was looking for the adaptable growing range of the majestic Baldcypress (Taxodium Distichum).  She has so far managed to make one thrive in nearby northwestern Ohio, and needless to say I then began reading up on her horticultural teachings.

Today she shared something that perfectly fits in with the theme of American Voyages, a post combining travel, flora, culture, and history pertaining to North America on the whole.  Check it out:

Thank You, Lady Bird: A Visit to the Wildflower Center in Austin

An excellent article, one well worth a read, especially for anyone interested in conservation history, Texas, wildflowers, or even just blue skies.

2 comments:

  1. Brent, I'm extremely humbled by your kind words, and they made me smile. I'm glad you spoke up on my blog. I didn't know you were interested in the Baldcypress. It does seem to be doing fine, although it's not growing too terribly fast. I'm afraid it competes with that large oak tree I show in my previous post. Perhaps I'll give it some extra loving care this year. At its feet, it has a collar of one of my favorite crocuses - Crocus chrysanthus 'Fuscotinctus'.

    My mom, who lived about 15 miles south of me, has a much larger, positively gorgeous Baldcypress that has begun to produce knees.

    We have two of a related tree - Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides - that are faster growing and seem to be doing well. We thought we lost one of them in the drought last summer, but we kept watering it and it came back! It lost all its "needles" and we were sad, until we saw new green nubbins appearing. Then we did the happy dance!

    Again, thank you so much, Brent, for this nice gesture.

    ReplyDelete